The Pottery Shelf

 

 

 

 

 

There is a slight over population of pottery in our house. While a good portion is squeezed onto a blue double shelf in the kitchen, a second shelf has been needed.

Dan brought home a bunch of scrap wood that filled about half of the trunk of my car. I picked out two pieces that I thought would work well together with these decorative brackets I picked up at a yardsale last summer. Look hearts. How cute.

image

First the wood all needed sanding and the brackets needed a good cleaning. I did this by hand. It reinforced how much I want a palm sander. I would have given the brackets a smoother surface if I had one. I attached the back piece to the brackets first. Then added the top shelf. I wanted the back piece to have a strong connection with the wall since I was picturing pottery on the shelf. I think it came out pretty cute.

image

I used the dark walnut stain I have from a previous project. (this stain will be around for a while as it is a large can.) This wood soaked up the stain much more than I expected. It is darker than the previous piece that was done in oak. I do like the dark color.

There was some, um, challenges with attaching it to the wall. We have stone hard plaster that is very thick. The first try for a hole needed to be filled and repainted. I happen to think I did a pretty good job at the spackling and repainting.

Once the shelf was up, it didn’t actually get the pottery I originally planed. Instead, it has some pewter pieces and the leaky teapot*. The sconces were also added to balance out the space. I’m pretty happy with it. When I unpack the matching pewter pieces to the service, I’ll trade out the silver.

image

Project costs:

  • Wood – Free
  • Brackets – $.25
  • Stain – Already had
  • Screws – roughly $1.60 and $3.00

*The story of the leaky teapot – A couple years back, I wanted to have a spring millinery tea. To have a tea, I needed the right teapot. As everything was buried in storage, I looked for a teapot. Of course, I didn’t want to spend money on just any teapot. So, for weeks I drove my husband crazy looking for the right teapot. We saw lots of teapots. Each of them was the wrong teapot. With a week to go, we stopped at a shop Dad used to go to fairly often. When we pulled up, we realized she was closed. As we were about to leave, she came running out of the house and opened the shop for us. Given this, we knew we had to buy something. At this time, our budget was very tight after a stretch of bad. It came down to this one silver teapot. After all, I needed a teapot.

I washed it up. Used a little toothpaste to polish it lightly. Rinsed it off and let it dry.

Millinery tea day came. I filled the teapot and put it on the tray with other tea goodies. We had a lovely day sewing and chatting. As it was warmish, we stuck to cool drinks. When I went to clean up, I noticed the tray was filled with water while the teapot was not. ūüė¶

There was a leak teapot.

It is right at the curve inward where I would have never noticed it. I had quite the laugh over this teapot’s leaky spot. I’d love to keep flowers in it eventually as it will hold just enough water below the leak.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s