Necklace of Vindication!

This past week I was determined to get the doll bodies for the future kerchief doll and future peppermint doll made. This way they both could be ready for their layers. I would like to take the kerchief doll for opening day at the museum to show off the new reproduction kerchiefs, each based on originals in the Greene Collection.

Everything was going well. 4 arms. 4 legs. 2 bodies. Lots of wool. I had mimicked the size I did for Violet, the second of the now 4 Jenny Lind style dolls in residence.

But, then…

I finished assembling and stuffing the bodies. I placed the kerchief doll’s head on the body…. and…. oh, my…. the head was too small. Or, rather, the body was too big.

I was disappointed, but not detured. I altered the finished arms and legs for the second body, cut down the torso, and recut pieces for a third body. (I figured no point taking apart the larger body. The right size head would come along.)

As I stitched the second body together, I couldn’t help but think about how I got the body too big. Too much seam allowance? Was I not careful enough going from finished doll back to cloth? I was a bit sulky.

By the end of that evening I had two doll bodies of just enough different size. I still need to make the third.

Then life, work, and millinery took the rest of the week.

Fast forward to Saturday.

I went to the Peddlers Market for a much, much needed mental health retreat. In this case, I mean the “run away, run away” version of retreat. While there, I saw this petite cameo necklace that was just the size for one of the larger dolls. I’ve had this idea that I want to make doll scale jewelry for some time now. So, this came home with me.

This morning, I went to put the necklace, double looped, onto the dolls. It slid over the new doll’s head and dangled about her chest plate. Then I went to see how it looked on Violet. It wouldn’t slip over her head. Hmmm? I tried Bonnie. It wouldn’t slip over her head either. Both needed it unclasped.

Could it be the dolls’ heads are different sizes? I hadn’t actually measured. They look the same size. Yet, the two new Jenny Lind style heads are just a tad bit smaller than their sisters.

This means the larger of the two doll bodies was made the same size, mostly, as Violet is. The new doll heads are just a fraction smaller. Just enough to make a difference. It will be interesting to see them side by side when finished.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s