Doll Bed Mattress

I recently found a nice doll bed and a nice price. It came with linens and a to-do mattress. I decided it needed a new mattress. I was able to finally pick up some second hand ticking today. Here is the new mattress.

Here are the freshly washed linens. The quilt, which was Clara’s baby quilt she no longer shows interest in, is drying. It is just about the right size for this bed. The pillow case needs a little pillow made for it.

Here are Marie, Meg, Cali, and TBD sitting on the almost dressed bed.

Advertisements

Holly Wool Mat

With the new place and new spaces to decorate, I knew I wanted some new room decorations. The very modern space needs softer, cozier elements to make it more comfortable and warm it up. I decided a wool mat would be a nice place to start. It also would give me a chance to try my hand at coarse applique and play with the pinking machines.

I had this nice, dense black wool in the stash, meant for a coat, that was going to be perfect as a mat base. I think/hope I still have enough left for my coat.

The circles weren’t quite perfect. But, that is okay. The smaller circle goes on top of the larger circle. All the applique would go on the top layer. The the layers get stitched together.

Originally, I planned on doing a trio of reindeer with a trio of holly bunches. The lack of brown wool changed this. In the end, I think this was for the better since the deer would have been rather difficult to applique with the thin areas.

While I did predraw and cut out a leaf template, I ended up freehand cutting all the pieces. I used only a very small amount of red to get the berries. I did use up a good portion of my green for the leaves.

This is what I was picturing for the layout.

The groups of leaves were a combination of three wools.

I appliqued the leaves first with a rough top stitch. I decided I liked the diagonal line better. I did try a blanket stitch first. I did not like it.

The berries went on next. Thene the layers went together. For that last part, I put a stitch at the apex ov each V.

There is how it came out.

Meet Meg

While letting my mind and eyes wander around straying from a doll publication I am working on, I stumbled across a doll in utter tatters. This doll’s dress was so tattered, the seller described her as dressed in ribbons. She had been purchased at an estate sale and was being sold as found on her stand. The tattered dress kept itching at my curiosity. I know silly. What made it worse was the $14 price tag. I told myself “no” for two whole days. Then I broke. 
Meg arrived promptly, in a fraction of the predicted time. I was very impressed with how carefully she was wrapped and packed. This seller took some of the best care I’ve seen. We’re talking tissue around her head, fully tissued, bubblewrapped and packing peanuts. (Wish I had photos for you.)

This is what Meg looked like when she arrived. Her dress was probably the driest silk I have ever felt. The silk was a brown, cream and blue stripe originally. The blue stripes are almost entirely gone. The skirt was constructed on the bias with the stripes running diagonally. The hem and one long bias seam were machine sewn and intact the best of the whole dress. The waist was guaged. I tried to show that in a photo. I think her bodice had a great deal on the bias too. It was hand sew with some areas looking like they were folded bias. The sleeves were short with one sleeve hem still siting at her upper arm. The back only had a single tie of string left holding the dress on. 

 Just looking at her, I knew there was little to no chance of saving her dress and it would like fall apart as I took it off. It took me a week before I tried. Once I untied the string, she was able to step right out. While the dress didn’t fall to dust, there really isn’t much less. I am struggling with whether it should be kept. 

Here she is in her petticoat and drawers. These are a stiff material I think is cotton. When I say stiff, I really mean stiff. Notice how the petticoat stands on its own. These are entirely hand sew. The petticoat was made too big. It has two tucks in the waistband. It has a big hook in the back. The drawers are the reverse. They were made too small and are sewn to her body. This keeps me from considering washing these. Washing meaning a soak.

 Her body is a combination of hand and machine sewn. She has some zigzag stitches on her upper arm. Her body is firm and solid. Her arms a little floppy. When I saw her hanging on the stand, which really is too big for her, I anticipated her body being soft or worn. I don’t think I have anything to worry about. Her head is matte. Samantha thinks she may be repainted. Her hands and feet, with blue boots, are shiny. She is 12″ tall. Her 3″ head and shoulder plate is close to Milli and Marie. So, they should get along nicely. 
Given her blue boots and eyes, a pretty blue plaid seems in order for her dress.